The main objective of terrorism is to create fear, panic and confusion. In order for you and your family to have the best chance at survival, you must be prepared for any type of disaster.
BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES
- Have your Go Bag prepared and know your household plan for disaster. You also need to know the plan for family member's work places and schools. Chances are, you will not be together and everyone will need to know how to get back together as soon as possible.
- Listen to local television stations or radio stations for up to date emergency information.
- If you are somewhere other than your house, note where the emergency exits, fire alarms and fire exits are. Look for a phone/pay phone nearby.
- If you see people, objects or vehicles that look suspicious, report them to the police or other public safety personnel.
IF A TERROR ATTACK HAS HAPPENED OR THERE IS AN IMMEDIATE THREAT
- STAY CALM
- Call your out of area contact and let them know where you are and what your plan is.
- Follow the instructions of local officials.
- Be on the lookout for secondary hazards such as falling debris, fire or other explosive devices. If you see anything suspicious, report it to the public safety authorities.
Terror attacks could involve explosive devices, biological, chemical or nuclear weapons. Go to the Hazardous Materials page for more helpful information.